Learn more about fentanyl, a potent, synthetic opioid pain medication that has been associated with the recent surge in opioid related overdose deaths. Fentanyl has been found as a contaminant in the illicit drug supply and plays a significant role in the current wave of overdose deaths in New York City and around the United States. The webinar explains how to recognize a fentanyl-related overdose and how to use a harm reduction response.
By the end of this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Recall trends in fentanyl-related deaths of people who use drugs;
- Describe the pharmacology of fentanyl and its analogs;
- Discuss fentanyl from the perspective of people who use drugs;
- Explain how to recognize and respond to a fentanyl-related overdose; and
- Identify harm reduction practices that people who use drugs can follow to protect themselves against overdose.