There are different ways you can assemble naloxone kits. You will need some kind of container, like a bag or a small sharps container like a Fitpak (see images below for examples).
- If you are distributing 10ml vials of naloxone, include at least 10 muscle syringes so that participants have one syringe per 1ml injection. 3ml 25g 1” syringes are recommended, but different gauges and point lengths are sometimes used, like 3ml 22g 1 ½”. Any option is ok as long as the point is at least 1” long so that it can reach the muscle.
- If you are distributing 1ml vials of naloxone, include at least two vials in the kit, with 2 muscle syringes.
- If you are distributing 2ml vials and needleless luer-lock syringes for intranasal administration, include two boxes of naloxone/syringe and rubber band an atomizer (Mucosal Atomization Device) to each box.
- Optional items for the kits include alcohol pads, rescue breathing masks, rubber gloves, prescription cards or an educational insert. You can put your kits in plastic baggies, or you can purchase bags with zippers.
- Download a template for the stickers seen on the fitpack in the photo below here.
You may want to provide participants with some written materials about overdose prevention and using naloxone. These should be tailored to your community, and produced in the languages that are most common among your participants. Written materials should summarize the training so they can be referenced later and they should include easy-to-understand visuals. Written materials should include, but are not limited to the following:
- Overdose Prevention strategies
- Risk for Overdose
- Recognizing an Overdose
- Responding to an OD, including stimulation, 911, rescue breathing and naloxone administration instructions
- Aftercare information
- Contact information for getting naloxone refills
Overdose prevention programs have created many great brochures and educational pamphlets. Please feel free to draw inspiration from them to create your own, or adapt existing materials for your program.
Links to suppliers of naloxone kit materials:
Also - secondary distributors like Cardinal, McKesson, Emergency Medical Products, etc. carry naloxone too—you will need to go through them if you are ordering a small quantity.